Open-air museum Monte Piano and War Cemetery

Theatre of war during the First World War

During the First World War Austrians and Italians fought against each other at Monte Piano (2324 m). The North summit was occupied by the Austrians, the Southern main summit by the Italians. The posts, trenches and tunnels of the opposing sides were only a few metres apart. 14,000 soldiers, Italians and Austrians, lost their lives here and were laid to rest in the Croda Bagnata War Cemetery.

The hiking trail up the Monte Piano leads through the former front, along carefully restored trenches, tunnels and the locations from where bombs were launched. In the Rifugio Bosi you can see a collection of objects found.

Information on the shuttle service from the Rifugio Genzianella to the Rifugio Bosi can be obtained by telephone at +39 338 52 82 447 or +39 336 30 97 30. Or at,

  • Monte Piana
  • Monte Piana
  • Monte Piana

Croda Bagnata War Cemetery
During the war the main Austrian field hospital, the “Hauptverbandplatz”, was behind the promontory of the Croda Bagnata. Those who died in the field hospital were buried immediately next to the hospital site, regardless of origin, nationality. And so the Croda Bagnata War Cemetery developed.

After South Tyrol became part of Italy the Italian military took on the task of combining the many small frontline cemeteries into a few larger ones. From 1926 to 1938 the fallen soldiers were re-interred. While the “Germans” were transported away, the remains of soldiers from other nationalities from all over South Tyrol were buried at the Croda Bagnata War Cemetery. 1,259 soldiers found their final resting place here.

The 3,174 m² War Cemetery is now a listed site. Its owners are the “Commissariato Generale Onoranze Caduti in Guerre” and the Fuchs family, who renovated the cemetery carefully and who still tend it today.